The Ramblings of Nana

The rambling, raving and ranting of me. Who am I? I am a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, a friend, a rolldog, a revolutionary, a peacemaker, a new attorney, an overachiever, a slacker and a lover of shoes. I am all of these things and more. I guess you could say that the blog is just about all of my experiences in life, love and the pursuit of happiness.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pretentiousness


Main Entry: pre·ten·tious Pronunciation: pri-'ten(t)-sh&sFunction: adjectiveEtymology: French prétentieux, from prétention pretension, from Medieval Latin praetention-, praetentio, from Latin praetendere1 : characterized by pretension : as a : making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing) b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature

I hate pretentious people. I'm not sure if it is because I live in a city with a lot of them or because I chose a profession where pretentiousness is king, but I have been running into a lot of pretentious pricks lately. I cannot stand it. Whenever I meet one I have to stifle my urge to take them down a notch or two. Sometimes the stifling works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sorry but unless you have done something warranting recognition, you don't really have the right to be pretentious. If you come from money, have gone to an Ivy league school and now think you are the cat's meow, I'm sorry but you really didn't have to work that hard did you? I find it hilarious that these folks actually think they have done something when life has been so easy and things have been handed to them. Go teach in an inner city school and have some of your kids go on to college, then talk to me. Make it out of the ghetto and become successful and then say something. Come to this country with nothing and do the jobs that no one else wants until you can make it and your kids can have a better life. Those are the people who have a right to be pretentious, but 9 times out of 10 they are the most humble of people. I think that is what gets my goat. Most of the people who have the right to be pretentious pricks aren't. I know I have no right to be pretentious because the former janitor and the former waitress worked their asses off to give my sister and I the privileged life. Prententious people beware. You may think you are hot shit, but until you can tell me what you have done of value, I'm going to call bullshit on you everytime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home