The Ramblings of Nana

The rambling, raving and ranting of me. Who am I? I am a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, a friend, a rolldog, a revolutionary, a peacemaker, a new attorney, an overachiever, a slacker and a lover of shoes. I am all of these things and more. I guess you could say that the blog is just about all of my experiences in life, love and the pursuit of happiness.

Monday, August 14, 2006

The Greatest Birth Control on Earth


The greatest birth control on earth is sitting on a flight with a screaming child. I flew home this weekend and on BOTH flights there were children who were horribly behaved. I endured a couple of hours of screaming, the man beside me had his seat kicked the whole way down to Florida and I kept seeing objects flung in the aisles. By the time I got to Tampa I had decided that having my tubes tied was a viable option to avoid the horrible nightmare that some children can be. Now, I understand that being on a plane for 2+ hours is not the most ideal situation for a child, but as a parent you have two options. 1) keep the child occupied or tire them out before they get on the plane so they will sleep. 2) Drive to wherever you are going so the rest of us don't have to deal with the fact that you can't control your child. When my sister was little and my family would travel I can't remember a time where my mom would let her scream uncontrollably, run around aisles or kick other peoples' seats. As SM likes to say, "when I was little my parents would tell me to go sit down and be quiet." For the most part, I feel like that is what a lot of us with "home training" were told to do. Go sit down, read a book, fall asleep, keep yourself entertained and don't show out in public. Clearly, the kids of today don't understand that. I think it might be related to all of the video games and TV being watched. It is ruining the children's ability to amuse themselves. Add that to a child's already short attention span and you get one angry Nana trying to keep from snatching a child up on a plane. I, for one, would love to see the airlines start offering "child-free" flights or "child-only" flights. I would be more than willing to pay the extra 100 bucks to fly in peace.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Aulelia said…

    crying and screaming children are like walking contraceptives lol, you are totally right. it is amazing how much energy and how high their decibel levels are in those tiny bodies of theirs.

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! That is my idea: the child-free airlines! Everybody would be willing to pay an extra fee to ensure peace and quiet. Since "sit down, be quiet, and don't touch anything" doesn't seem to work these days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home