The Ramblings of Nana

The rambling, raving and ranting of me. Who am I? I am a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, a friend, a rolldog, a revolutionary, a peacemaker, a new attorney, an overachiever, a slacker and a lover of shoes. I am all of these things and more. I guess you could say that the blog is just about all of my experiences in life, love and the pursuit of happiness.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Black Stars

Hooray! The Black Stars beat the United States. That is exciting to me. Now, many people are telling me, "I can't believe you are rooting for Ghana in this." Ummm, damn straight I'm rooting for Ghana. Let me tell you why.

1. Ghana is where my parents are from. Any country that has produced two people as wonderful as my parents (who I'm going to see this weekend- yay) deserves my support. Plus, in Ghana you are from the country where your mother was born, so they claim me, why can't I claim them?
2. Ghana is a place where there are NO color lines. If you are white, black, brown, Puerto Rican or Haitian Ghana will welcome you. I can't say the same for the U.S. Also, the minute that the U.S. starts instituting the draft for women, I'm headed straight to my parents' house in Accra, any one who wants to come is welcome, we have room.
3. This is Ghana's first time in the World Cup. This tiny little country in Western Africa is holding its own against the big dogs. The fact that it is a place that I know and love makes me want to bust out my Ghanaian Flag, crank up the high life music and cheer. Now, they are playing Brazil in the next round. I'm not sure how they will do, but I am so proud that they made it this far. Have a marvelous weekend! Ciao!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Glib Gurl said…

    I was thinking about you when I heard about Ghana . . . I, too, am happy to see them kick some American tail!

    GO GHANA!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home